The Gryffin and the Mock Turtle (Alice in Wonderland) original pencil sketch by Rodney Matthews
In 2008, when Templar published their collector's classic edition of Alice in Wonderland, Matthews achieved his lifelong ambition to illustrate the most well known children's story ever written. He had waited for this opportunity since the age of six, ever since his sister Beryl had taken him to see the Walt Disney movie in 1951. Matthews' "wonderland" is sinister, capturing the essence of Lewis Carroll's tale. In addition to the many coloured pieces, fourteen pencil drawings were also featured in the book.
Retitled The Mock Turtle's Story, this is the pencil drawing that resulted in a colour work, which was included in the book and has also been published as a limited edition print.
- Title: The Gryffin and The Mock Turtle
- Year: 1989
- Materials: pencil on tracing paper
- Image size: 30.5cm x 43.5cm (10.7” x 11.4”)
- Presentation: mounted and wrapped in cellophane
- Click here for shipping charges, methods and timescales