King, Cat and Executioner (Alice in Wonderland) original pencil sketch by Rodney Matthews
In 2008, when Templar published their collector's classic edition of Alice in Wonderland, Matthews achieved his lifelong ambition to illustrate the most well known children's story ever written. He had waited for this opportunity since the age of six, ever since his sister Beryl had taken him to see the Walt Disney movie in 1951. Matthews' "wonderland" is sinister, capturing the essence of Lewis Carroll's tale. In addition to the many coloured pieces, fourteen pencil drawings were also featured in the book.
Some great illustrators, including Matthew's favourite - Arthur Rackham, have had a crack at The Cheshire Cat. The Matthews version is among the more sinister.
- Title: King, Cat and Excecutioner
- Year: 2007
- Materials: pencil on tracing paper
- Image size: 27.3cm x 29cm (10.7” x 11.4”)
- Presentation: mounted and wrapped in cellophane
- Click here for shipping charges, methods and timescales