For a Year and a Day (The Owl and the Pussy-cat)
Painted in 1988, this image appears in Matthews' 1990 calendar - Storybook Collection - published by Picture Sales. This image is Matthews' rock interpretation of Edward Lear's nonsense poem The Owl and the Pussy-cat, which was first published in 1871. Here is the first verse:
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
What a beautiful Pussy you are!
- Title: For a Year and a Day
- Materials: archival lightfast inks on Photo Rag art paper
- Printing: actual artwork-sized image, giclée printed by Pricelis Art Ltd
- Size: 47.9cm x 50.5cm (18.9" x 19.9")
- Edition size: a limited edition of only 500 prints, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews