Magnum: On a Storyteller's Night Alternative View original pencil drawing
Regular price $2,081.00 USD
Regular priceUnit price per
As is often the case, Rodney likes to present the person(s) commissioning an artwork with an alternative choice. Although usually completely different, in this case the alternative is quite similar. This piece of rock history shows the now famous setting from a different viewpoint.
This sketch is what Matthews calls a "working" drawing, his favourite stage of any commission, where the creativity happens and designs come to life. It is also our greatest opportunity to come close to finding out what is going on in the mind of the fantasy artist; here he scribbles notes, sketches thumbnails of details, places the characters and finds his layout.
- Year: 1985
- Materials: graphite pencil on tracing paper
- Approx size (including mount): 40.5cm x 51.5cm (16” x 20.3”)
- Presentation: mounted and wrapped in cellophane
- This is the second of four pencil sketches completed before the full colour illustration. The first (also for sale) is the one that was selected by the band to become their album cover; the third (now sold) is a more detailed sketch of the first; and the fourth is a full finished pencil sketch (not for sale, but has been exhibited at the 'Matthews in Graphite' exhibition).
- Consistent with being a working drawing there is a fold-line down the middle.