On a Storyteller's Night: Preliminary I original pencil drawing
Regular price $3,477.00 USD
Regular priceUnit price per
After collaboration with Magnum's Tony Clarkin, this is the actual sketch, where Matthews first put pencil to paper to create what has become his most loved and recognised piece of art.
This sketch is what Matthews calls a "working" drawing, his favourite stage of any commission, where the creativity happens and designs come to life. It is also our greatest opportunity to come close to finding out what is going on in the mind of the fantasy artist; here he scribbles notes, sketches thumbnails of details, places the characters and finds his layout.
- Year: 1985
- Materials: graphite pencil on tracing paper
- Approx size (including mount): 40.5cm x 51.5cm (16” x 20.3”)
- Presentation: mounted and wrapped in cellophane
- This is the first of four pencil sketches completed before the full colour illustration. The second (also for sale) presents an alternative view of the same scene, the third (now sold) is a more detailed sketch of the first and the fourth is a full finished pencil sketch (not for sale, but has been exhibited at the 'Matthews in Graphite' exhibition).
- Consistent with being a working drawing, this rare treasure is a little worn, with a tear at the bottom right, a fold-line down the middle and a stain at the bottom right (most likely a spillage of tea or coffee, after all he did burn the midnight oil in order to complete this job on time).