The Dragon Lord limited edition giclèe art print
One of twelve in a series of Michael Moorcock-influenced images commissioned for posters by Big O, UK, Germany and USA and later published in calendar format. Matthews enjoyed working closely with Moorcock (pictured) on the designs and says that he was a joy to work with, offering design suggestions, but never dominating the art. Of the twelve 'The Dragon Lord' was among the most popular and seemed to epitomise at a stroke (a stroke of Elric's runesword Stormbringer perhaps) the essence of the Eternal Champion epoch. The image was later licensed by Roxxcalibur for their 2011 album Lords of the NWOBHM.
This image was reproduced as a limited edition print in 2016 to mark the 40th anniversary of Matthews' classic Michael Moorcock artworks. To further commemorate the occasion, prints numbered 1 through to 40, also include a unique hand-drawn pencil REMARQUE.
- Full Title: 'The Dragon Lord'
- Edition: limited to only 200 STANDARD giclée prints, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews, plus ten ARTIST PROOFS hand-signed and marked AP by Rodney Matthews
- Size (height x width): 660 x 470 mm (26 x 18.5 inches)
- Materials: pigmented inks on fine art paper
- Printed by: Pricelis Art Ltd, UK