The Formidable Four (The Wind in the Willows) limited edition print, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews
The scene here is one of urgency and determination as Badger, Ratty, Mole and Toad prepare to wrest Toad Hall back from the weasels and stoats!
The original art was purchased at the Chris Beetles Gallery by none other than Rodney's hero - John Cleese.
Matthews' feelings towards Kenneth Grahame's delightful children's novel, first published in 1908, were captured in his 1999 book Last Ship Home:
'The attraction of The Wind in the Willows is that it reminds Rodney of that mood in childhood which exists before one realises the shortcomings of the world; before, in current terms, one learns about holes in the ozone layer, the greenhouse effect and the possibility of nuclear disaster. There are perils in the book, but they are only interruptions to an existence that is basically comfortable and assured.'
- Title: The Formidable Four
- Materials: archival lightfast inks on Photo Rag art paper
- Printing: giclée printed by Pricelis Art Ltd
- Size: 47.9cm x 50.5cm (18.9" x 19.9")
- Edition size: a limited edition of only 350 prints, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews