A Caucus Race (Alice in Wonderland) limited edition print, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews
A Caucus Race depicts the Dodo, standing upon a rock, watching Alice and the many strange and wonderful creatures trying to “race” themselves dry after a swim. It appears as one of fifteen colour illustrations and fourteen pencil drawings in the 2008 Alice in Wonderland book published by Templar - these are among Matthews' favourite examples of his work. He was only six years old when he was converted into an "Alice" fan, after watching Disney’s 1951 film with his sister Beryl.
Actor, comedian and producer John Cleese has purchased four originals from this series and also reviewed the book:
"Michelangelo, Manet, Monet, Matisse, Munch, Mondrian, and Matthews. All my favourite artists begin with an 'M'. And so, Rodney Matthews is generally acknowledged to be among the greatest artists that have ever lived. Need I say more? Please buy this book, and all his other works, because then my immense collection of stuff will become even more valuable. Especially when he dies."
- Title: A Caucus Race
- Materials: archival lightfast inks on Photo Rag art paper
- Printing: actual artwork-sized image, giclée printed by Pricelis Art Ltd
- Size: 45.1cm x 64.1cm (17.8" x 25.3")
- Edition size: a limited edition of only 750 prints, hand-signed and numbered by Rodney Matthews
- Click here for shipping charges, methods and timescales